Friday, May 22, 2015


About to sit down to the drawing board for today's studio time. Here is where things were left off yesterday afternoon. I added more pattern but also went back over areas already worked to darken and help to shift things backward and forward to give depth as well as to develop more of the soft texture of the rug which will be very important as the rug takes such prominence in the composition. Since this rug is just steps away from my drawing board, I am constantly getting up and checking out the tonal variations to try and keep things from becoming too 'busy' in black and white and also, have judiciously edited some of the pattern to simplify and key into the more important aspects of the intricate patterns. I want the rug to be important in the finished drawing, but I also want the animal subject to hold its own so have to keep that in consideration as I work. It might actually be time to start work on the cat so as to make sure I have not gone overboard on the rug's patterning. I don't think I have, but that remains to be seen. Of course, I can always go back and tone down the rug by over layering to push it back and add more focus to the cat, if needed.

No comments: