Sunday, January 27, 2013


As I sit down in the studio to put in a couple hours of work this afternoon, here is where things stand after some work time yesterday. I think the entire right side of the piece is pretty much done, save for some final 'clean up' work when everything else is done as I go over the entire composition to tighten up and strike a final stroke or two of 3B to bring things up. It was interesting yesterday as I sat down to the board for a couple of hours of work time . . . I, as so many artists will also attest, had that momentary ache where I felt that the piece was just not working and wondered out loud if I had put in so many hours for naught. It happens . . . there is a point at which you look at an incomplete work and think 'What possessed me?' or even worse, 'Where did I go wrong?' After 3 hours of work yesterday, during which I kept thinking that all would turn out OK in the end, and then coming back for a final look before heading for bed last night, after having left the work sit for 5 hours without looking at it . . . I felt a bit better. And then this morning, I felt, fortunately, even better as I looked at yesterday's work. I'm in the final stretch now and that nagging little voice that seems to haunt so many artists when near the completion of a work, is saying to me, very forcefully . . . 'Don't screw it up!' Stay tuned . . .

No comments: