Thursday, May 17, 2012


Just completed late last night, 'Woody' will be heading out to the Pacific Northwest later this month for next month's big Anniversary Show at Howard/Mandville Gallery in Kirkland, Washington. I don't like to duplicate myself either when it comes to subject matter or pose or compositional idea but sometimes, when there seems to be heightened interest in a completed work and I have a descent amount of additional reference material from which to work to develop a similar compositional framework, I will. Case in point, an earlier work done in January of this little red-bellied woodpecker (shown below), which has just been juried into this year's members' exhibition, Art and the Animal of the Society of Animal Artists, drew a great deal of comment and interest. I thought a smaller, more vertical redevelopment of the original idea might be enough of a variation for me to feel comfortable in approaching the subject again for the upcoming gallery event. I don't find anything 'wrong' with other artists finding an idea that seems to resonate with many and following up on the original with reincarnations of the same idea, but for me, it just does not interest me in a creative sense to 'redo' something that has already brought me, and perhaps some others, the gratification that I had hoped it would when the idea first jelled in sketch form.

1 comment:

Kathryn Hansen said...

i know exactly what you mean! but both drawings are so beautiful...just love them!