Thursday, March 08, 2012

As I came downstairs this morning and walked through the studio, I paused a moment over the drawing board to take a first look at the possibly finished work. After a minute or two, I was happy that I did not see anything that jumped up at me and said, 'needs work'. So, this piece is ready to head to the work table for mat and frame later today. 'Stretch' measures 6.5" x 25.5". Yet one more work so far this year, based on reference material gathered a bit over a year ago on my week on the west coast of Florida. I knew I got great 'stuff' to work from on the trip, and now that five works have been completed thus far this year using just a tad of that marvelous reference, it might be time to put it aside and dig into some completely different reference for the next few works. I have some interesting new commitments coming up in a few months time that command me to take a look at some different landscapes and ideas. What's next? Come back to see!

5 comments:

Colette Theriault said...

Suberb rendering Terry! I am curious as to what type of paper you use as it seems slightly textured?

Terry Miller said...

Hi Colette,
As noted before here, I work on the 'kid finish', or slightly textured, Bristol Board available here in the US made by Rising.

There are two types of surface in Bristol Board, the smooth finish and the slightly textured. I began working, years ago, on a sample piece of the textured board and got very used to the surface, developing my technique based upon the results gotten from making use of the texture and not trying to avoid it.

I know other graphite artists who work on a smoother surface, but have never varied from the textured surface that I have become so used to over the last thirty plus years.

Laurene said...

I agree with Colette - it truly is superb! It's a simple yet very dramatic composition.

Peter Williams said...

I think this may be my favourite piece of yours Terry, brilliant composition and rendering.

Colette Theriault said...

Thanks Terry; I'll see if I can order some of that paper...would love to try it for my more textured scenes.