Monday, September 12, 2011




Back from the whirlwind weekend that always is such a flurry of activity at the opening of Birds in Art at the Woodson Art Museum. Seems like, as the years go by, the weekend festivities go faster and faster with hardly time to catch one's breath.

This year, 66 of the 112 included artists were in attendance and it was, as it never fails to be, a great time to catch up with artist friends who I generally don't get to see except the occasional posting from them on Facebook throughout the rest of the year. Also, it is great to meet and make friends with 'first timers' and there were a host of them this year.

Jim Coe received the Master ribbon this year and one of his gorgeous oils graced the cover of the catalog. And another past Master, Jim Morgan, named in 2008, and I shared facing pages in the beautiful catalog. Adding it to the previous 19 catalogs from my, now 20, years of inclusion in the exhibition, brought to mind just how many of these wonderful weekend events I've been privileged to attend since my first year of making it through the jury back in 1991.

Of course, now it is time to get back to 'reality' and the work at hand, preparing for upcoming gallery events and the big Waterfowl Festival in mid November. Not the time for reflection but for moving on with work. Of course, being at the opening and seeing all that terrific art in person will certainly continue to act as ongoing inspiration in the studio over these next weeks and months as it always has upon my return from this internationally recognized, well respected and coveted exhibition.

As I've done a number of times in the past, I will post some of my favorite works from the exhibition in a day or two.


No comments: