Thursday, April 28, 2011

Sometimes I wonder what possesses me to consider a close in composition such as this, with all its attendant detail. Well, I know pretty much that it will make for an interesting work, strongly focused encompassing a lot of interest. But, it is not usually until I am a day or two into a piece like this that the initial 'why on earth?' goes away and I begin to feel that 'ah, yes!' has taken over.


Working in black and white, as I have said many times before, I feel I have to rely upon the variations of surface material, texture and structure to get my point across. I see it as being akin to a painter's desire to see what happens when they put blue beside orange or any other cool against warm tone, or they vary their brush stroke to make a specific separation or to show less or more detail. And so I will continue the noodling on this one, picking out details that need emphasis and softening those that I want to just 'be there' but not draw attention to. So far, I think it's going pretty well!

5 comments:

Julia Ruffles | wildlife animal artist said...

WOW what a dynamic composition, I love detail :) very happy to be a follower, look forward to see the progress, Jules

Suspinz: Dabbler in Many Things said...

"...going pretty well" is probably the understatement of the week, if not the year! I could already walk up to that nose and feel velvet and whiskers. This looks to be a fabulous composition, from all angles.

Sadami said...

Dear Terry,
Wow, great beginning! Already a masterpiece!!
Cheers, Sadami

Roger Brown My Botswana Art said...

A very captivating and interesting drawing, there is so much detail in it that you can spend quite a lot of time admiring it.

Laurene said...

Brilliant, Terry! As I've said before, I already own "Unknown Bridges", but if you ever put together a book of your animal subjects, I would be very interested!