Monday, August 23, 2010


'Cat and Mouse'
image size 13 1/4"x5 1/4"

I really enjoyed working this very vertical composition and it has given me some good ideas for future works with a similar feel.







I thought it might be of interest to show the pencils that were used on this just completed work. Though the work itself is rather small and on first glance does not seem to encompass a variety of tonal value changes, there are indeed many. These fifteen pencils, spread out on my drawing board and left just as they sat when I signed my name to the work about twenty minutes ago, are the 'tools' that were used to create this work. From left to right, beginning with the wood encased Faber Castel, we have a 3H, next in the lead holder - HB, then a Turquoise 8H, a 4B, a 6H, a 3H in the next lead holder with the red end followed by the blue lead holder containing an H lead, then the red lead holder with my trusty 2H (Jack of all trades!), then three more lead holders with 5H, F and B respectively, 2B next followed by two more wood encased leads in 9H and HB grades, and sneaking in on the bottom of the shot another Faber Castel B grade pencil. Since most of the darker areas of the piece were worked in my usual manner of building up layer upon layer of graphite to the desired intensity, some of the softer grades were only used at the very end to bring out that intensity and therefore just a stroke or two of that softer lead sufficed. Other grades, such as some of the harder upper number Hs were also used quite sparingly, mostly to indicate the clouds and tone down some of the subtler light tones. You may also notice, on closer inspection of the photo, the variation in the 'business end' of the pencils, some with points and some with blunt ends. As I have talked about many times before, all these variations in point degrees do different things and result in different levels and intensities of grey value.

2 comments:

SKIZO said...

Fascinating work.
It has been delightful
to visit your gallery.
Good Creations

dale kinsey jr said...

Great work Terry. I appreciated your explanation of your tools. I am always interested in the working methods of artists. I really enjoyed the vertical format, it works well.