Saturday, October 10, 2009

I have not posted in a few days as I have been busy digging through reference material, gathering up ideas for small works for the upcoming Waterfowl Festival in the middle of next month. This little work, begun about an hour and a half ago (12:15 now), will go quickly as it is just 5" square. But I wanted to show some in-progress images of it as I go today. There will be a lot of over layering, building up of darks in this one as I want to make it quite 'moody'. I'll give an update in another hour or so . . .


(1:20 PM update)



(2:30 PM update)



(3:55 PM update . . . well, I did have to stop for lunch!)



And, here is the completed work at 5:15 PM. A good day's work at the drawing board. I'm rather pleased with this little work . . . 5 1/4" x 5 1/4".

5 comments:

Colette Theriault said...

Very nice Terry. Did you use charcoal or soft graphite as the piece looks rather dark (but I love it!)?

Terry Miller said...

Hi Colette,

No charcoal, just layer upon layer of graphite. The softest basically B with a spot here and there of 4B for some 'dark highlights'. It is dark, intentially so.

Jennie Norris said...

This is beautiful and moody. Thanks for showing your hourly updates. It's very interesting to see your work process. I love the way this turned out!!

Highton-Ridley said...

Great sequence of shots of the developing work and what a fine finished piece. Really nice work!

Laurene said...

How beautiful Terry!
And thanks so much for showing us how your drawing progressed step-by-step.