Saturday, March 21, 2009

On Thursday last, I headed up to Baltimore with a cousin to spend a delightful couple of hours roaming the National Aquarium in Baltimore. I'd been several times before, but my cousin was visiting for the first time. It's a wonderful exhibition space, sitting right on the waters of Baltimore's Inner Harbor and surrounded by many other interesting places to poke around in, good eateries and interesting sights. Though rainy and grey outside, we enjoyed the colorful array of fish, birds, turtles, frogs and lizards. Here is a collage of some of the creatures that caught my attention.

And then, there was this character! In the glass enclosed, open space of the Australian Atrium, we came across what at first appeared to be a very strange stump of wood which turned out to be an Australian Tawny Frogmouth Owl! What a kick! It was enjoying a late morning nap, I guess, and never did open its eyes while I stood there . . . hoping.

3 comments:

Laurene said...

What a great way to spend the day! Thanks for sharing.

Peter Brown said...

Terry, just when I was rueing the fact that we Aussies don't have the wildlife to rival your own grizzlies, moose and bison, you remind me of our very own tawny frogmouth!

Lynette Weir said...

Hello Terry,
I enjoy following your progress on your work through this blog.
Tawny Frogmouths are my absolute favourite birds and one that I have been photographing, drawing and observing these birds for a few years now. It is a shame this birds did not grace you with its wonderful large round yellow eyes!
http://soulsongart.wordpress.com/2009/03/17/tawny-frogmouths-in-our-backyard/