Sunday, March 23, 2008

A Link to Link


How things change and, how they stay the same!

I took a journey out to Luray, Virginia today, to 'track' (OK, so the pun is intended here!), yes to track down a special pair of bridges.

As I have mentioned before in earlier posts here, the exhibition of my drawings this summer, 'Unknown Bridges', will hang in conjunction with a large scale exhibition of the black and white photos of O. Winston Link. I have talked about Link before and the fact that I have admired his work for many, many years (for more information on Link and his work, you can go over to my Unknown Bridges blog page and click on the link to the Link pages in the links listing there). In any event, I have found out from the Woodson Museum, that one of my favorite photos of Link's will be a part of that exhibition. That photo was taken in Luray some 55 or more years ago and I decided that it would be fun to see if I could find that spot, get some reference material and see if I could develop a work based upon the scene that Link captured so long ago.

Interestingly enough, I found the spot with no trouble at all and was able to gather some excellent material on this Easter Sunday afternoon. As you can see from this shot below, there has not been too much change over the years, the major change being the replacement of the vehicle bridge and some trees that have grown up along Hawksbill Creek.


It will be fun now, to play around with the material I gathered today and see what I might be able to come up with for the exhibition. It will also be interesting to see how many who attend the two month long hanging of both exhibitions in Wausau, will be able to make the connections.

Ah, what we artists go through for our reference!

No comments: