Monday, March 03, 2008

The Devil is in the Details


I have had a request to post a closeup of the major subject matter of the most recent work to come off my drawing board, that being Mr. Flash and the bicycle. So, Sandi, this is for you!

This is a relatively small area of the actual drawing and, when opened to its larger image, shows more than double the actual size on the original, but I think this will give you a bit of a better look at that area. Yes, the image is a bit on the blurry side and the details in the bicycle are actually not that tight in reality anyway.

Even though my work appears quite tight and true and extremely defined, which in many areas of a finished work it truly is . . . like the impressionists did, I do take a bit of liberty on occasion and forgo being so 'noodly' as to show every little nuance and detail, especially in an area that in the end, is quite small. The 'end' is to have all the component parts of the composition work together, form a pleasing image and have an overall well balanced, blended, cohesive effect.

2 comments:

Sandi said...

Thank you so much, Terry! This is a bright spot in my day. The close-up just makes me appreciate your work all the more. As near as I can guess from looking at this, the key seems to be in getting the values just right more than the fiddly detail.

Sandi

Terry Miller said...

Hey Sandi,
Yes, you have hit it, capturing the values of grey, black and white are the keys here. If you can establish the correct value separation and contrast, the eye will fill in whatever is missing. I used to think it was important to have all those details refined to the point of utter perfection.

But of course, I have learned, especially in reviewing other artist's work that I respect, the 'total picture' is what winds up being important in the end. If the composition is worked through to a fine balance and if the values move your eye around the work, as intended, the necessity of 'fiddly detail' becomes diminished.