Thursday, January 17, 2008

'The Snowfall Is So Silent'


A little diversion today as we are experiencing a beautiful, quiet, delicate and soft snowfall here in suburban D. C. This is only our second snowfall of the season and it is very hard for me not to be distracted by what is going on outside my windows. I will, eventually, get back to work at the drawing board but for the moment, I wanted to share some excerpts from a beautiful poem I discovered on line a bit ago . . . .

. . . 'The snowfall is so silent, so slow,
bit by bit, with delicacy
it settles down on the earth' . . .


. . . 'The silent snow comes down
white and weightless;
snowfall makes no noise,
falls as forgetting falls,
flake after flake.'


. . . 'And wherever it falls it stays,
content' . . .

'The flakes are skyflowers,
pale lilies from the clouds'

. . . 'Snow, delicate snow,
that falls with such lightness
on the head,
on the feelings,
come and cover over the saddness
that lies always in my reason.'




The poem, 'The Snowfall Is So Silent', by Miguel de Unamuno, born 1864, Bilbao; translated from the Spanish by Robert Bly.

No comments: