Monday, June 27, 2005


The piece I am working on right now is of a tranquil spot not too far from where I live in central Maryland, Otterdale Mill. I 'discovered' this old mill building one afternoon, shortly after I had moved to Maryland in the fall of 2001. I was out, just driving around the countryside, checking out my new surroundings and came across this scene as I rounded a corner and drove down a bit of a hill. It almost took my breath away, the calm and peaceful atmosphere that I immediately felt. I pulled over to the side of the road and just took it all in for a quarter of an hour. Since that first afternoon, I have returned to Otterdale any number of times, at all times of the year, and am never surprised at how relaxed and regenerated I feel when I leave there. This will be my first attempt at trying to portray some of that tranquility that seems to hang in the air at this almost perfect spot, almost in my own back yard!

No comments: